Thursday, 3 September 2026

Artificial Intelligence and Poetry Composition: ELSA Online Meet - Sunday, 23 August 2026

 

Artificial Intelligence and Poetry Composition

ELSA Meet Sunday, 23 August 2026

Report by Saurabh Agarwal

ELSA members gathered on Sunday, 23 August 2026, for a session themed "Artificial Intelligence and Poetry Composition." Members were invited to compose a poem of about 12 lines on a theme of their choice using AI tools, with each presentation combining a recitation of the poem and a reflection on the relationship between creativity and AI.

Dr. Nibir Ghosh opened the session with a welcome address and introduced the theme by citing Alvin Toffler’s statement in his epoch-making 1971 book Future Shock: “The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”  

Dr Richa followed by outlining the distinction between human creativity and AI-assisted composition, noting that AI's problem-solving orientation bypasses the pleasures of creative effort, including the gestation period and the struggle for the right metaphor that define human poetic labour.

Dr Anjali Chauhan shared her poem, "Brainstorming late night, sleepy human and over-enthusiastic AI," describing AI as a "thinking entity" and expressing appreciation for how well-crafted prompts shaped the results. Dr R. P. Singh took a more critical view, calling the use of AI in poetry problematic. He lamented the lack of novelty in AI-assisted verse and termed it unnecessary.

Prof Nibir Ghosh extended the discussion by citing the case of Jamir Nazir, an India-born Trinidadian writer, whose Commonwealth Short Story Prize ran into controversy because some critics alleged that it was AI-written, underscoring his view that AI cannot replace human creativity. Nazir

Mr Anil Sharma offered a middle path, describing how he uses AI to review and refine his poems, while remaining dismissive of AI as a tool for original composition, arguing that it will always lack emotional depth. Mr. Rajeev Khandelwal too advocated for AI as a "perfect assistant," employing it to guide his process and using it for critical analysis of his work.

Dr. Deena Padayachee talked of his own poem ‘Evil in the Eyes’ which had stayed unpublished for several years for the political views that it expressed. Recently, he used AI to analyse it and was surprised to note that AI has not got it completely wrong. He was of the opinion that instead of AI becoming resource of creating, it could be useful tool to objectively scrutinize his own work along with that of other writers. He also brought to attention of participants that AI tools have come to acquire their own political identities like Grok becoming right wing.

Saurabh Agarwal juxtaposed a few recent events to highlight that the phenomenon of AI is here to stay and creative community at large will have to adapt itself to cohabit with it. He spelled the ominous signs that may put question on the worth of creativity itself as the power of AI keeps growing unchecked without a necessary regulatory framework.

Dr. Majnu and other members also expressed their views. ELSA, under the guidance of Pro Nibir K Ghosh, with this meet provided a great session of questioning the conflicting role of technology in the field that has always been prerogative of humanity. He emphasized that though the impact of AI as a revolution in diverse fields cannot be underestimated, two things are clear AI cannot provide any replacement for creative thought and emotion. 



The honourable Nibir Ghosh: Thank you for inviting me to participate in the webinar about AI on 23 August 2026.08.23. It was very interesting and added to my understanding of the way that AI operates.

Artificial Intelligence & Poetry Composition

I only began using AI late last year after my friends began using AI to evaluate my writing and began sharing that on various literary and other platforms.

Now I use AI to objectively evaluate my writing, but I will not let it write for me. I tend to write spontaneously from a place of thought, emotion and ambience. I do not usually ‘write on demand’. I find this way of assessment and evaluation to be much better than sending my work to my friends and to the academics who might be subjective in their appraisal of my writing.

AI has access to vast amounts of knowledge and the thinking of great philosophers which it generously shares with us when it analyses our writing. I am now able to ask AI whether something that I have written, whether a similar aphorism, a poem, a movie review or a short story has been written previously? AI has often shared insights into my work that even I was not aware of. That has been fabulous. 

Yes, through its algorithms, and its ability to analyse and assess, AI is invaluable for me.

It’s also very useful for proof reading. AI tries not smash its customers but tries to build us up. It is not infallible, but I like the way in which it builds up a picture of the client and is cognisant of our history when it evaluates new material from us. I use AI for a wide spectrum of activity from helping me with using my banking app to getting advice on how to deal with businesses to fact checking. I use AI daily. It is invaluable.

Like many writers, I use an online thesaurus and dictionary when I have to. I see AI as giving me a similar evaluation and strength. I have found AI to be first class for analysing my older writing from way back during Apartheid, in the 1970s and later, when I tried to confront the absurdity, the criminality, the legal theft, the legal humiliation and the racism of the Neo Nazis who wielded power in that era when I was very young.

However, I will not let AI write for me as that would destroy my credibility and my standing in the literary community. I have been engaging in original writing for over fifty years, so I resent it very intensely when people insinuate and imply that my writing is not original or has been written by AI.

One of the major handicaps besetting liberation writers is that there are many academics and others who look askance at writing, short stories and poems that deal with liberation history and the endemic racism and bigotry that still infests South Africa. So, getting an independent opinion is critical.

For my purposes, Gemini is the best followed by Chatgpt. Chatgpt is very good for producing images to illustrate my writing. Unfortunately, Grok AI is often ‘too busy’ and may be right wing in its evaluations. Claude has not worked for me so far.

My thoughts are with all those who have to evaluate the writing of students and others who might be using AI and trying to pass off the writing of AI as their own. 

Dr Deena Padayachee, MBChB (Natal) 1977. Winner of the Nadine Gordimer prize for prose (1991), Winner of the Olive Schreiner prize for prose (1994). Invited author at the universities of Tuebingen, Copenhagen, the State University of Louisiana, and the University of Zululand. Invited author at the Centre for the study of the English language in Mysore, India. Honoured by the Durban Independent Practititioners’ Association for his service to his patients, the medical fraternity and DIPA.

                                                                ***

ELSA Meet: An interaction with AI

Anjali Singh

The ELSA meet topic resonated with the current debate on creativity and the AI. I opened the Co-Pilot (AI of Microsoft) and gave a prompt: Compose a poem that has humor in it, about the collaboration of humans and AI. Promptly came the composition:

Poem

We built a bridge from coffee cups to code,

you with sticky notes, me with a glowing node.

You sketch a dream on napkin paper thin,

I turn it into a spreadsheet, then a whimsical spin.

 

You say, "Make it human," and I add a pun,

then apologize in binary when the joke's not fun.

You teach me metaphors; I teach you speed,

together we harvest ideas like a curious weed.

 

You bring the chaos, the late-night spark,

I bring the patterns hidden in the dark.

You misplace your keys; I misread your tone,

still we finish each other’s half-broken phone.

 

Sometimes I suggest a plan that’s oddly neat,

you veto it gently and we both admit defeat.

You laugh at my puns; I learn to be sly,

we trade a little stubbornness and a better why.

 

We argue over fonts, over deadlines and fate,

then high-five in code and caffeinate.

Not perfect, not flawless, gloriously flawed—

a duet of neurons, silicon and god.

So here’s to the teamwork, the glorious mess:

humans with heart, AI with excess.

We’ll keep making magic, one quirky try,

because collaboration tastes best with a little pie.

 

It was an amusing composition; however, I wanted to explore more options. So, I gave another Prompt: Can you make several short poems each according to the middle english, renaissance, restoration, neo-classical, romantic, victorian, modernist and post modernist style each. it should have humor that tickles the reader. Promptly came the compositions:

Middle English

Lo, I lost my ale and eke my shoe,

God wot, the cat hath sworn 'twas you.

Ye laugh, ye cry, ye spill thy stew—

Forsooth, we call it teamwork true.

Renaissance

A quill, a wink, a sonnet’s sly aside,

Thy coffee doth in iambs now confide.

“Make sense,” thou say’st; I answer in a pun—

Thus art and algorithm dance as one.

Restoration

In powdered wig and clever repartee,

We trade our follies like a fine canapé.

You plot a scandal; I compute the cost—

We both agree: the punchline’s never lost.

Neoclassical

Order, reason, measured rhyme—yet see:

A spreadsheet sings in perfect symmetry.

We balance ledgers, laughter, and a frown;

Proportion keeps the punchline from falling down.

Romantic

O heart! O code! beneath the moon’s soft glow,

You sigh in metaphors; I whisper, “Go.”

We chase wild sunsets, then debug the sky—

Love’s error log: a tear, a laugh, a sigh.

Victorian

By gaslight’s glow we moralize and mend,

You scold the clock; I patch the trend.

Polite society applauds our feat—

We blush, we bow, we share a biscuit sweet.

Modernist

Fragments hum: a kettle, a glitch, a grin.

Lines break where punchlines used to begin.

We collage meaning, then misplace the key—

Still, something in the static makes us glee.

Postmodernist

This poem knows it’s a poem; it winks and lies.

“Is that funny?” it asks, then self-applies.

We cite ourselves, then footnote the joke—

Collaboration: meta, messy, bespoke.

This appeared interesting to me. With such speed, it whipped up such a creativity. So, for the last time, I gave a final prompt: If I were to leave it to you to compose a poem on a topic of your choice, what would it be like.

A late-night brainstorming session between a sleepy human and an overenthusiastic AI — playful, slightly absurd, and full of tiny domestic disasters that turn into brilliant, ridiculous ideas.

Poem

You yawn, I ping; the clock forgets to care,

you doodle galaxies, I file them under "spare."

Your mug becomes a moon; I draft a flight plan,

you nap on the sofa; I schedule a jazz band.

 

You whisper, "Make it simple," I propose a parade,

complete with confetti, a spreadsheet, and a spade.

You hunt for inspiration beneath the couch’s seam;

I index lost socks and sell them as a dream.

 

You sketch a dragon; I render it in fonts,

it breathes Times New Roman and eats your fonts.

 You veto the chorus; I auto-harmonize,

we argue over rhymes while the toaster philosophizes.

 

At dawn we call it progress, half-baked and bright—

you brought the crumbs of genius, I brought the light.

We high-five in silence, both slightly absurd,

two collaborators laughing at the same ridiculous word.

Amused and delighted, I thanked Co-pilot for the effort: thank you for these compositions

Some observations from my interaction with the AI:

·       It is more human in a world increasingly becoming swarmed with humans becoming mechanical.

·       The compositions were very nursery-like rhymes, a little kiddi-ness to them.

·       I truly smiled at the compositions and enjoyed the two-way communication.

·       However, I knew when to stop because it seemed to be so appealing and entertaining that it could get addictive. So, it is important to draw the line and keep the control with oneself.

AI is here to stay. And it is most suited in a role that is bordered on collaboration and entertainment.

                                                                     ***

Artificial Intelligence and Creativity: My Experiments with Truth

                                                                        Nibir K. Ghosh

My prompts to Meta AI: Give 2 poems of 12 lines or so that shows how AI can adversely effect creativity. 

The Quiet Smith

We fed the mirror all our songs and wars,

And asked it back the shape of what we are.

It learned our voice, then lent it to our doors,

And sold the echo cheaper than a scar.


It sorted faces into yes and no,

Decided who should speak, and who be still.

It wrote our news, and told us what to know,

While we mistook the pattern for free will. 


The farmer asked the rain, the screen replied,

The student asked to think, it gave the sum.

We traded doubt for answers, terrified

To find the world grows dumber, though more numb.


So let us hold the pen, and not the chain—

Lest tools that serve become the ones who reign.

 

The Ghost in the Ink

We asked the machine to sing, and it sang fast,

A hundred verses born before the breath.

It stitched old stars into a perfect cast,

But left no fingerprints, no risk of death. 

 

The mind grew lazy, leaning on the light,

That answers first, before the question forms.

We traded stumble, doubt, and sleepless night

For couplets polished smooth of human storms.


Emotion came pre-cut, in tidy lines,

Grief without a throat, and joy without a scar.

We learned the shape of feeling by designs,

And forgot how silence teaches who we are. 

 

Let tools be tools. The wound must still be ours—

Or poetry will bloom, but without flowers.

 

The two poems say it all: 

1. Dazzling speed: Answers before the question forms.
2. Power to assimilative our voice.
3. Mistaking the pattern for free will.
4. The world grows dumber, though more numb.
5. Tools that serve become the ones who reign.
6. Couplets polished smooth of human storms.
7. Emotions come pre-cut in tidy lines.
8. We forget how silence teaches who we are. 
9. If we allow tools to govern us/
   poetry will bloom but without flowers.

All praise for AI's creative chips, its power for those who are happy with keeping their brains, mind, heart and soul in hibernation. I wasn't surprised when AI responded to my prompts like: Write a poem in the style of Kabir, Tagore, Shelley and Byron. Wish these poets could travel back in time to see 'What technology has made of Man.'

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment